Wednesday, December 1, 2010

HIV/AIDS "Small aids to individuals, large aid to masses " -Maria Mitchell


Today is World AIDS DAY!! I am volunteering with the National AIDS Secretariat which is a great organization. It also apart of  the Ministry of Health and the Health Promotion Unit. Every year there is a HIV/AIDS march that brings about solidarity and awareness to the community. It was a great day and people from different schools and professional organizations came out to show support. I was responsible for recruiting volunteers which was my first real responsibility as a volunteer. I also passed out different forms of contraceptives and educational packets to people in the community. It was interesting to see how much of a stigma is associated with sexual activity and I learned to be very discreet in handing out information. I found this made people more comfortable with accepting information or forms of contraception. Now, I am participating with the Ride the Bus Campaign and the People's Show,the latter will air live. The Ride the Bus Campaign is great way to inform people, I along with a health educator jump on a bus and talk about HIV and create a discussion about sexual health and awareness. I will have some pictures from the Campaign and the Talk Show  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment